Thursday, June 16, 2011

Crafty Vacation

I just got back from a two-week vacation to visit family in Nova Scotia and boy did it ever feel good.  Canoeing, swimming, lounging, eating, fireworks, dog, garden, ocean, ocean, ocean, family, cheap thrift stores, and all else that is good and maritimey.

Queens County is where I spent most of my two weeks (where I also grew up) and not having visited for a while, I was able to see how unique and special this region really is.  Dear to my heart are some of the fiber craft techniques and styles specific to that area.  I'm always blown away by the world-class hooked rugs, needlepoint and quilts that might come out of old Betty Whynot or granny Moreau's living rooms and then sold for next to nothing at the annual exhibition.  It's a shame to see how these works of art are usually under appreciated for the skill, creativity and many, many hours that these techniques take.  Lets hope that the tradition will stay alive for much longer.  Here's to you, Nova Scotian crafters!






No comments:

Post a Comment